Okay, let’s say something shitty happens. Maybe a bird poops on your head. 😬🐦
Then some wisecracking bystander says, “You’ve got some bad karma!” As if karma is some kind of fateful tit-for-tat.
Like so many people, (and maybe you) he’s got it wrong.
Karma isn’t fate — like a movie script of your life that’s playing out all set in stone. That’s not how karma works.
But when you really understand what karma is, you can use it to create your own happiness.
Karma is the effect of the choices you make in life:
💜 the energy you create from your actions (thoughts, words, deeds)
💜 the consequences of those actions
In Sanskrit, karma literally means “action.”
Think of karma as an internal power – an energy you create in each moment.
When you know this, whatever you’re giving your time and attention to gets a lot more important.
For example, what if you’re focused on feeling like you’re not enough? Or maybe you want someone else to be different than they are? Your energy is feeding pain. And since what you focus on expands, the disconnect deepens. That’s karma.🙄
We’re not talking a “universal justice” kind of thing — like if you pick up someone’s trash, you’ve earned some equally good karma later on. It’s about how your actions and thoughts affect how you live your life. If you pick up someone else’s trash, you get to live in a world with less litter.
If you like your life and how it feels, keep doing what you’re doing.
If you don’t, what are you going to do about it?
The good news is your life doesn’t have to suck just because the other people in it aren’t enlightened. 🤣💜😂 As author Dr. Wayne Dyer said, “How people treat you is their karma. How you react is yours.”
When you create positive choices and thoughts, you get positive outcomes. That’s not fate. That’s just the natural consequence of your action.
I was devastated after the death of my premature daughter, Amy, when she was nine days old. My making her death wrong simply added to my pain. I needed to wail, grieve, and honor the cycle of this deep loss for years.
As I leaned in and did my work, I experienced how Amy was born to escort her identical twin sister into this life, invite me to show the fu@k up and fully live my life, and ultimately touch hundreds of others as well. I believe that Amy’s short life was full and complete.
Her death was the pain I needed to wake up to see what mattered, what didn’t, and to fully live my life as the gift that it is. Karma played its role in my action to how I moved forward in my life after my experience with her life and death.
All of us will experience pain and loss in our lives, that’s just how life is, but we get to choose what we make of that pain and those losses. That’s what karma and this work are all about. We have choices. We get to choose what we do with what life offers us.
Here are the 12 laws of karma. Use them to help create good karma in your life so you can live a life you fricken love. 🙌💜🥳
- The Great Law
- Whatever you put into the Universe will come back to you.
- If you plant love and kindness, you’ll get it in return.
- Put out hatred, you’ll get back hatred.
- The hatred inside of you needs to be healed so you can remove blocks to love.
Like the Beatles sang, “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.”
- The Law of Creation
- Life doesn’t just happen. You need to make it happen.
- No playing the victim-y, it’s-someone-else’s-job-to make-me-happy role.
- No shutting down and playing small to stay safe and little.
- You must show the fuck up and actively invest time and effort in the things you want.
- The Law of Humility
- You have to accept things before you can change them.
- You must be humble in your thinking to accept your mistakes.
- Avoiding, pretending and denying truth doesn’t make it any less true.
- What you resist will persist.
- The Law of Growth
- When you change yourself, your life changes, even if nothing outside of you changes. It’s magical.
- When you change your thoughts, your feelings change.
- When you change your feelings, your actions change.
- When you change your actions, the outcomes change.
- The Law of Responsibility
- You’re responsible for what happens in your life.
- What happens around you is a reflection of what’s going on inside you.
- Taking responsibility empowers you to let go of being a victim of your life.
- Taking responsibility allows you to be authentically YOU — no matter what’s going on in your life.
- No matter what the Universe throws at you, it’s your responsibility to respond or react in a way that’s authentic to you.
- The Law of Connection
- The past, present and future are all connected.
- Every person and everything is connected in some way.
- Everything you’ve experienced has led to the next thing.
- You can’t have peace in your life today if you don’t have peace with your past.
- You doing your work and releasing blocks to love changes how you experience your future.
- The Law of Focus
- You cannot think of two different things at the same time.
- When you divide your mind, you’re more susceptible to negative thoughts – and to negative energy.
- You accomplish more when you focus on one thing at a time.
- The Law of Giving and Hospitality
- Your behavior should match your thoughts and feelings.
- If you aren’t living in integrity of yourself on all levels, it feels like shit.
- You have to walk the walk of your beliefs. It’s not enough to just think good thoughts.
- The Law of Here and Now
- You cannot be present if you’re looking backward (or into the future)
- Old thought patterns prevent us from having new ones.
- When you live in the present moment, you can make choices of what’s best for you.
- Your divine life is playing out NOW, whether you know it, like it, or believe it.
- The Law of Change
- The past repeats itself until you learn from it and change your path.
- Change is the Universe’s way of nudging you to learn a lesson.
- You have to connect thoughts and feelings to adjust and change patterns.
- The Law of Patience and Reward
- The most valuable, lasting rewards require persistence.
- You must show up, do the work, and never give up on your big goals.
- You may need to try 10,000 ways that don’t work to find the one way that does.
- 10,000 ways that don’t work aren’t wrong. Savor each little milestone you achieve along your journey.
- The Law of Significance and Inspiration
- You get back what you put into something. Long-term rewards require more time and effort.
- Every contribution you make influences the whole, however great or small it is.
- As you align with the light, truth and love that you are, you’re inspiring others and attracting more light, truth and love into your life.
Karma is a glorious goddess. It doesn’t matter whether you believe in karma. She doesn’t care. Live as though you did believe and you’ll be fine. 🌱
Shit is going to happen and your world is going to blow up at times. That’s life. How you respond to the shit is what creates your karma. Contrast is our teacher.
Some of the most difficult times in my life — like my 9-day-old daughter Amy dying in my arms — have given me the greatest gift I’ve ever received. The gift of knowing my life was for me to live it.
When you understand that karma is this amazing internal power — not fate — you’re empowered. And that’s a beautiful way to live.
Sooo, how’s karma playing out in your life? Are you a woman who’s ready to create your own path of happiness?
Join me in my monthly online program for women, Journey to Your Center. where you can grow, heal, and bring clarity to your life.
Every month, women are creating waves of change in their lives, even when nothing outside of them changes. This change is rippling into their relationships with their families, co-workers, and friends.
In Journey to Your Center, we go straight to the meat of it – healing and empowering who you are from the inside out.